The Wallaceburg and District Museum is situated near the heart of downtown Wallaceburg. Located at 505 King Street, the museum occupies the former Wallaceburg Hydro Building and is less than half a block from the banks of the Sydenham River.
The museum documents the beginning of our community from the founding of the Baldoon Settlement by Lord Selkirk in 1804 to its success as an industrial hub in the mid-1900s. The town’s first industries included lumber mills and cooperages. Industry later transitioned to glass, sugar and automotive parts production. Agriculture also plays a major role in the local economy to this day.
We have recently been recognized as a Bike Friendly business by the Canadian government. Being a Bike Friendly business means we offer refreshments for bikers if they need a place to cool off and grab a drink. We also have maps to help bikers plan their route, and we offer areas to lock up bikes during a visit. We are very excited to be able to offer these services for any biker who decides to drop by.
Here at the museum, we are dediicated to "Preserving the Past for the Future."
The Von Ayres Cultural Centre names the complex which is home to the Wallaceburg & District Historical Society, the Frank Murdock Sports Hall of Fame, the Wallaceburg Little Theatre and the Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts. The Von Ayres Cultural Centre was the home of the Wallaceburg Hydro office from 1925 to 1982.
The museum is built upon a plot of land originally granted to Captain John McGregor by the Crown for outstanding service in the War of 1812. In 1876, McGregor donated the land to the Town of Wallaceburg. He stipulated the land was to be used for municipal purposes, and it became the site of the First Town Hall and Opera House. In 1925, the Wallaceburg Hydro building was constructed on the site. In 1905, the Hedgling Brass and Iron Manufacturing Company (now the former Waltec) began its operations in this building's basement. The Town of Wallaceburg purchased the building from Wallaceburg Hydro in 1983. To see a full timeline of the museum, click here!